Posted on December 18th, 2017
It’s that time of the year again, and you probably want your home spick-and-span for the onslaught of friends, relatives, and Christmas parties lined up. But with so much stuff to do, like shopping, wrapping presents, and cooking feasts for loved ones, it can be impossible to do a complete house cleaning as much as you want to. As one of the best providers of house cleaning services in Indiana, our best tip would be to focus on cleaning high-priority areas if you’re pressed for time. How? Check out this quick and easy holiday cleaning guide to make your home Christmas-ready.
You know those beautiful snow spray decorations your kids love so much? For them to properly pop, cleaning your windows beforehand is a given. Unfortunately, simply applying the snow spray to windows that are not thoroughly cleaned won’t do. It will look underwhelming, and the spray will not stick to the windows perfectly.
How to clean windows:
- Wipe the glass portion of your windows with a damp microfiber cloth to remove dust and grime.
- Spray your window cleaning solution, like Windex, or create your own by mixing equal parts vinegar and water with a drop of dish soap or rubbing alcohol if you want an eco-friendly home cleaning alternative.
- Use a dry lint-free towel to spread the cleaner and remove dirt on the window panes.
- Dry from top to bottom using a squeegee.
Clean cobwebs and dust
It’s Christmas, not Halloween, and having your wall corners covered in cobwebs is not welcome. You don’t want your tinsel and garland to fight through the cobwebs for attention. So, clean them up before putting up your Christmas ornaments. The same goes for dust. Christmas decorations seem to be dust magnets. So, if you don’t want your beautiful glass ornaments covered in excessive dust, follow these steps:
- Use a long-handle broomstick to collect cobwebs from high ceilings.
- Pick up a microfiber cloth and wipe shelves and other visible surfaces at home.
- Do not use a feather duster; it will only spread around the dust.
Prepare the guest room
If you plan on having family or friends over for Christmas, don’t forget to make closet space available. Chances are they are bringing a suitcase or two. Instead of blocking your hallway with bags and suitcases, declutter the closets before they arrive. Also, vacuum the guestrooms, dust the surfaces, and put some fresh linen on the beds. Make their stay as comfortable and cozy as possible.
Prep the kitchen
There is going to be cooking involved, no doubt about it. And the best kind of cooking – hearty, holiday food cooking. But to make all good things possible, you have to make your kitchen squeaky clean. Do this in advance, at least a week before Christmas Eve dinner.
- Declutter the cupboards and the fridge of all the expired food products.
- Polish the cutlery to wow your guests
- Deep clean the kitchen sink and garbage disposal.
- Deep clean the oven for that tasty pot roast we know you’re making.
- Deep clean your dishwasher.
Clean up the bathroom
Cleaning the bathroom is certainly the last thing you want to do on Christmas day. We know nobody likes it, but it has to be done. It doesn’t have to be all that difficult, though. Check out these pro tips for bathroom cleaning.
- Pre-treat the toilet bowl by soaking it with a multipurpose bathroom cleaner. Leave it for 15 minutes and then flush away.
- Deep clean your showerhead of limescale deposit from hard water.
- Wipe faucets, sink, and bathtub.
- Declutter and organize your bathroom vanity. Stock up on toiletries, adding more if you have guests staying over for the holidays.
- Wait to clean the bathroom tiles after you’ve had a hot shower; the steam will loosen the dirt.
- Clean bathroom mirrors and glass shower walls using vinegar and baking soda cleaning solution to remove smudges, toothpaste spills, or water stains from surfaces.
Have a Stress-Free Holiday! Book the Best Cleaning Services in Indiana
If all you want to do is put your feet up and have a glass of cider or eggnog, we got your back. DeluxeMaid’s professional house cleaners will be happy to do your Christmas cleaning for you. Just call us or book online to schedule an appointment.