Posted on January 30th, 2019
Not only does a messy house seem unsightly, but it may also feel cramped and even slightly depressing. Yet, tackling the mess isn’t always the most straightforward task unless you’re one of our expert house cleaning professionals in Carmel, Indiana. So, what should you do if you don’t know where or how to start cleaning a messy house?
Cleaning your house dramatically differs depending on whether you need to speed clean before your guests arrive or you’ve decided to clean it from top to bottom. Of course, if you book a regular house cleaning service, your place will be clean at all times. You’re probably never worried about having a messy home and have more free time to spare to do exciting stuff like visiting the Carmel Arts and Design District, dining in one of your favorite restaurants, spending time with your family, or simply lounging in your freshly cleaned space doing nothing.
However, if you still haven’t handed your chores over to our cleaning pros, you’ll need to deal with this task on your own. This might be stressful, especially if you’re on a tight schedule and pressed because you must clean your home in one day.
How to start cleaning a messy house?
Starting is often the most challenging part of cleaning. A simple way to trick yourself into cleaning is to put on a pair of shoes. This might sound silly, but hear us out.”The shoes may be triggering people’s brains for productivity because traditionally, they wear shoes when being active and productive,” Marcy Caldwell, PsyD, a licensed clinical psychologist and ADHD specialist, explained in an article of Well and Good.
Since we usually put our shoes on when going for a walk, leaving for work, or completing some other chore, your brain will think that you’re ready for action and will respond accordingly. You should avoid wearing comfy shoes or slippers because they make you want to cozy up, sit back and relax.
How to make it more interesting?
If you really don’t like cleaning or your professional cleaner is still not scheduled to come until next week or so, you can make this dreary task more fun and engaging. For example, you can play some music from your favorite band and clean your home while listening to those amazing tunes. If you don’t want to sacrifice your workout for cleaning, you can just do both at the same time. A great number of people use this opportunity to clean and get their adrenaline running. If you make cleaning more enjoyable, starting and dealing with all the mess will be less of a bore.
Where to begin cleaning?
There are so many messy corners and cluttered areas that you don’t know which way to turn. Luckily, there are a few strategies that you can try and then decide on the one that works for you.
- Clean the urgent areas first. If you don’t have a lot of time to clean, you should definitely start with time-sensitive issues. For example, you should throw away spoiled food or deal with the most urgent and visible areas if you have guests coming over.
- Deal with difficult chores. If you have more time to devote to cleaning, you can tackle the most difficult tasks first. Dealing with the messiest and dirties areas in your home at the very beginning will get them out of your way and it will be easier to clean them while you still aren’t tired.
- Or start with easy tasks. On the other hand, some people prefer doing easier tasks first because their homes will seem tidier right away, and this can get instant gratification after makes them feel more inspired to do more. Either way, you should tackle one room at a time because this will keep you more efficient and organized.
How to deal with clutter?
If you let clutter build up, it will make your cleaning even more difficult. More importantly, clutter will gather dust, one of the most common household allergens, which can reduce indoor air quality and affect your health.
- Decluttering your home will be quite easy if you adopt it as a habit. Instead of letting random items pile up, you can return everything to its place. As you go through different rooms, remove items that don’t belong there and put them in the right place.
- When sorting out your belongings, this can be time-consuming if you haven’t done it in a while. However, if you take the right approach, you can make this task easier, too. Get rid of items you haven’t used in a year or more. Discard all the broken items that can’t be reused.
- It’s useful to sort your belongings into three piles: to donate, to keep, and to throw away.
How to get better at cleaning my house in Carmel?
If you don’t like cleaning and you’re not really good at it, you’ll be glad to hear that there’s still hope. Cleaning is a matter of habit, so if you do it regularly or adopt a few efficient habits, you’ll find yourself getting better at this task day by day.
On the other hand, there’s also a way out of it: leave it to the people who do love cleaning. When it comes to messy houses, leave it to DeluxeMaid! Call us at (317) 721-1105 or schedule a one-time clean now to try us!