Posted on November 24th, 2016
Looking for a professional company that does home cleaning in Indianapolis to fix your walls?
Dirty, stained walls have a big impact on a home’s overall vibe and visual aesthetics. Aside from making it look unkempt and older than it really is, dark and dingy walls can reduce the light reflected throughout, negatively affecting your mood and emotions.
Unfortunately, DIY wall cleaning is one of those tedious tasks that tend to get delayed more or less indefinitely. It is, after all, a big job—and you’re probably better off hiring a professional cleaning service to take care of it. If you want to do it yourself, here’s a quick and easy guide from our home cleaning experts that may help you.
How to Clean Wallpaper
If you have wallpaper, do not attempt to wash it. Either hire a professional with wall cleaning experience or practice careful “spot cleaning” with absorbent material. Here’s how:
- Use a dry paper towel or a piece of bread to lift grease from the wallpaper gently.
- Press firmly for at least 30 seconds so the material soaks up the grease.
- If you have very stubborn stains, you may apply an iron set on very low heat to at least four layers of cloth or paper towel (placed over the stain). This will heat and loosen the dirt and oil in the stain, promoting better absorption.
Cleaning Painted Walls
If you have painted walls, follow this cleaning method:
- Move all of the furniture into the center of the room.
- Then, place an absorbent cloth (old bedsheets will work fine) on the floor near the walls. This will keep soap and water from dripping into the gap between the wall and the floorboards.
- Lastly, you’ll want to cover any protruding nails with chunks of dye-free natural cleaning sponge.
- Before washing, dust the walls with a wool duster to remove surface dirt and any abrasive particles.
- When you’re done, get two buckets. Mix a few squirts of liquid dishwashing detergent into a gallon of warm water in the first bucket. Fill the second bucket with cool, clear water.
- Dab your natural sponge into the bucket with the cleaning solution (be careful not to saturate it too much). Gently scrub the wall in a circular motion. Rinse with a small quantity of water applied to a white cloth when done.
As you work, remember that you don’t want to soak the walls. Use as little water and cleaning solution as you can while still effectively removing dirt and grime. Work in just one small area at a time, moving from the bottom of the wall to the top. However, note that you should complete at least one whole wall at a time. Otherwise, you may end up with a streaky clean.
Cleaning Walls with Stubborn Stains
If your walls still have stubborn stains after washing them, try making a more concentrated cleaning solution. Mix one cup of clear no-suds ammonia, one cup of white vinegar, and one cup of borax washing soda together in a gallon of warm water. Make sure you do a “spot test” on a less visible part of the wall before using this solution to check for damages and unsightly reactions.
If this more potent cleaning solution reacts negatively with your wall paint, do not proceed with your DIY wall cleaning plans and call a professional cleaning service instead.
Book A Professional House Cleaning Service in Indianapolis
Save yourself from the hassle of DIY wall cleaning. Our expert and experienced cleaning partners are always available to take care of your home cleaning needs. We can deep clean your dirty walls and make them look spotlessly clean in no time.
Make your life easier. Book a home cleaning in Indianapolis today!