Posted on July 22nd, 2022
Deep cleaning should be a priority before moving in, whether moving into a rental apartment or a newly built home. What may seem like a clutter-free space can be filled with post-construction dust and debris or have the lingering smell of cigarette smoke the previous tenant left. Move-in deep cleaning will save you from the hassle of having allergies or stressing about foul odors that wouldn’t go away.
We asked our best home cleaners in Indianapolis to share their move-in cleaning checklist that you can easily follow. Read on for more new home cleaning tips!
Deep Clean Before The Moving Van Comes
Schedule your cleaning day before the moving van delivers all your stuff. It’s easier to clean and identify problem areas with stains or rust that require special attention when the furniture and boxes are not all over the place.
Focus on Cleaning Key Areas First
Cleaning the whole house is a pretty tall order that can be overwhelming. When doing a move-in deep cleaning, our professional cleaners recommend tackling these rooms first:
They require more intensive cleaning and are the first ones you’ll need to use when you move in. Once you’re done with them, you can plan for the next cleaning phase to deal with the main areas like the living room, staircase, hallways, and outdoor spaces.
How to Deep Clean the Bathroom
- Remove dust and cobwebs on the ceiling and light fixtures with a broom or vacuum.
- Clean mirrors and glass shower enclosures using glass cleaning products or a DIY cleaning solution composed of vinegar, water, and rubbing alcohol. Buff and dry with a microfiber cloth, old newspaper, or paper towels.
- Scrub the sink, faucet, and shower with a vinegar cleaning solution to remove limescale and mineral deposits. Wipe dry.
- Wipe linen closets and medicine cabinets with an all-purpose cleaner and damp cloth.
- Spray water and vinegar solution on any surface with hard water stains and soap scum. Wipe dry with a clean rag.
- Use a toilet bowl cleaner on the rim and inside of the toilet. Leave it for at least five minutes and scrub.
- Pour a cup of pure vinegar into the toilet’s water tank to remove limescale, rust, and grime that has built up over time and may cause a foul odor. Flush repeatedly to remove the vinegar. Turn off the water valve to drain the tank. Scrub the insides with an all-purpose cleaner. Turn the water back on and flush a few times until the water is clear.
How to Clean Your Kitchen Before Moving In
- Deep clean the kitchen sink, drain, and garbage disposal.
- Spot clean stained walls, tiles, or splashbacks with baking soda and vinegar paste. Do not use this for delicate stone countertops, which may react adversely to the acid.
- Deep clean refrigerator, dishwasher, oven, washing machine, and other appliances that come with your rental.
- Wipe all cabinets, pantry, and surfaces with a damp cloth and all-purpose cleaner.
- Sweep or vacuum and then mop the kitchen floors.
Move-In Cleaning Tips for Bedrooms and The Rest of the Home
- Always clean top to bottom. Dust ceilings, light fixtures, and ceiling fans first before vacuuming.
- Deep clean walls with water, dish soap, and vinegar to remove lingering smells.
- Wipe windows clean. Use vinegar and rubbing alcohol solution or commercial glass cleaners to polish glass and mirrors.
- Clean baseboards, coffee tables, and other surfaces with an all-purpose cleaner.
- Vacuum staircases, hallways, and floors, and then mop.
- Sprinkle carpets with baking soda to freshen them up and neutralize any unpleasant odor.
- Use a powerwasher to eliminate deep-seated dirt in your deck and other outdoor entertaining areas.
Pressed for Time? Book Our Move-In Deep Cleaning Service!
Moving into a new home can be stressful because you have to take care of many items on your to-do list while life, work, and everything in between are still happening.
But here’s the thing: you don’t have to do everything alone. Make your move as stress-free as possible by booking a professional cleaning service to deep clean your new home. DeluxeMaid offers residential cleaning services in Carmel, Zionville, Plainfield, Avon, and the rest of Indiana. We specialize in move-in/move-out cleaning and post-construction deep cleaning.