Posted on June 27th, 2022
Cats are all cuteness and cuddles until they pee out of their litter box, and you have to clean it up immediately because they’re the worst. Cat urine gives off an unforgivingly pungent odor, particularly if not addressed immediately. According to PetMD, when the bacteria in it decomposes, it develops an ammonia-like scent and emits mercaptans, which gives it its signature odor. The longer cat pee stays uncleaned, the stronger the skunk-like smell becomes and the harder it is to get rid of.
In this article, we share expert cleaning tips we think every pet parent should know to eliminate the smell of cat pee at home.
How to Clean Cat Pee on Different Surfaces
Cats show their adventurous side sometimes by spraying their scent on various areas and surfaces at home. Follow these steps if you ever find yourself in these home cleaning situations.
1. Your cat peed on tiles and sealed hardwood floors
Mop with water mixed with hydrogen peroxide, white vinegar, or enzymatic cleaners. Wipe dry with a clean cotton rag.
2. It soiled your unsealed floors
- Clean the cat pee by wiping dry with a cotton rag.
- Wipe with vinegar and cold water. Repeat the process until you can no longer get a whiff of any funky pet odor. If you’re using an enzymatic cleaner, do a patch test on an inconspicuous portion first before covering a large area.
- Continuously wipe dry with a clean cotton cloth until there’s no more moisture. It may require a bit of sanding if your cat pee has stained and soiled your unsealed floors.
3. How to remove the smell of cat pee from furniture and carpet
- Track down the affected area.
- Blot clean with paper towels or a damp cotton rag with cold water. Avoid rubbing or scrubbing — this can only push the nasty pet odor deeper into the fabric fibers, making it harder to clean.
- Douse with enzymatic cleaner or water and vinegar cleaning solution. Vinegar is acidic, so it can get rid of the bacteria in your cat’s pee while also working as a fantastic odor neutralizer. Leave it for at least five minutes.
- Rinse with cold water and blot dry with paper towels or a wet rag. Repeat the process until the smell of cat pee disappears.
- Remove excess moisture by blotting with paper towels.
- Air dry or use a hair dryer in a cool or low setting.
- Finish off with Febreze Fabric Pet Odor Eliminator to freshen up. Alternatively, you can also sprinkle a bit of baking soda on the surface. Let it sit for at least 15 minutes, then vacuum it up.
Eliminate Pet Odor at Home with Professional Deep Cleaning
Cleaning up your pet’s messes can take out the joy of pet parenting. Don’t let it take a toll on you. Prevent your home from smelling like a kennel by booking a professional home cleaning or deep cleaning service regularly.
Deluxemaid offers premium maid services in Indianapolis and surrounding cities, including Fisher, Carmel, Plainfield, Zionsville, Avon, Lawrence, and Brownsburg. Our professional house cleaners can do an excellent job making your home sparkling clean and smelling fresh. They’re also insured, bonded, and background checked for your peace of mind.
Say goodbye to nasty pet odors. Book a home cleaning Indy today!