Posted on June 28th, 2022
Do you get a whiff of something nasty every time you open your fridge? Is it still smelly even after you’ve decluttered spoiled leftovers and expired goods? Yes? Even if your fridge looks clean visually, if offensive odors are lingering inside, it indicates that molds and food-borne microbes and bacteria could be thriving in it.
And these are tell-tale signs that it’s time to deep clean your fridge like a pro. In this blog, we share expert home cleaning tips from our professional house cleaners in Fishers.
How to Deep Clean Your Fridge – A Step-by-Step Guide
Real talk: stop looking for quick, Band-Aid solutions to get rid of bad odors from your fridge. Masking the scent will not kill the harmful organisms that could be living rent-free with the things you eat inside your fridge.
There’s nothing else to do but roll up your sleeves and do the work. The best way to get rid of your fridge’s unpleasant smell is deep cleaning it. Here’s how.
- Take everything out — food items, drinks, and other stuff inside. It’s best to schedule deep cleaning before you do a grocery run so your fridge’s empty.
- Take out removable shelves and drawers and wash them separately.
- Wipe all spills and crumbs away using a damp cloth.
- Spray water, vinegar, and baking soda mixture to clean every surface. You can also dilute a few drops of bleach in a gallon of water but be very sure that it doesn’t come into contact with food.
- Gently scrub stains on surfaces with a sponge or damp cloth.
- Tackle spills and caked-on food residues with a baking soda paste (mix with water). Let it soak for a few minutes, then scrub with a sponge or an old toothbrush.
- Rinse by wiping surfaces with a damp cloth and then pat dry with paper towels or a clean rag.
- Put the shelves and drawers back in their proper place. Make sure you’ve wiped them dry properly.
- Don’t forget to clean your freezer and ice bin using the same cleaning techniques.
Natural Deodorizers to Freshen Up and Get Rid of Bad Odours from Your Fridge
- Coffee grounds – When you make a cup of freshly brewed coffee in the morning, save the grounds and put them in a cup or jar. Place it in a corner inside your fridge, and your kitchen will smell like a coffee shop whenever you open its doors.
- Lemon and orange peels – Put citrus peelings in a glass container uncovered to give your fridge a sweet and refreshing scent.
- Vanilla extract – Soak a piece of cotton ball with vanilla extracts and leave it inside your fridge for 24 hours to give it that delicious aroma that’ll remind you to keep desserts in stock.
Can’t Deep Clean Your Fridge? We Can Do It For You!
With Deluxemaid on your speed dial, you’ll never have to worry about how to get rid of bad odors from your fridge ever again. Leave it to our professional house cleaners to get rid of any nasty odors at home. We can deep clean your fridge as an add-on service to our regular residential cleaning service.