Posted on March 23rd, 2022
Bid those winter blues goodbye. Welcome a new and exciting season with a satisfying spring cleaning session. It doesn’t matter if you only got five minutes or a whole weekend to spare. Our ultimate spring cleaning guide can help you give your home a much-needed refresh like a pro!
Tackling whole-house cleaning in one go can be intimidating and exhausting. You’ll find the entire process so long and tedious that you’ll never want to do it again. Don’t do that!
Instead, use this as a spring cleaning checklist. Deal with each task depending on how much time and energy you’ve got. Do it room by room, corner by corner.
Trust us; cleaning can be fun if you’re strategic about it. If all else fails, call the best house cleaning service in Indianapolis — yes, that’s us! But for now, get ready with your home cleaning supplies and let’s get spring cleaning!
1. Clean your windows and treatments.
Pick a perfectly cloudly day to do clean your windows. Doing so on an intensely sunny day can only lead to streaking marks. Our cleaning experts recommend washing your windows with water instead of chemical cleaning solutions for best results. But for stubborn stains, you can also create a homemade window cleaning solution made out of vinegar, rubbing alcohol, and distilled water. Wipe your glass windows dry with a microfiber cloth immediately.
Don’t forget about your window treatments because they’re a magnet for dust and dirt.
- Dust of wooden and vinyl blinds.
- Vacuum your fabric shades or drapes.
- Throw your soiled curtains in the washing machine.
2. Clean sliding glass doors and tracks.
The same principle should be followed when spring cleaning your sliding doors. First, wait for an overcast day to wash the glass parts and wipe them down with a microfiber cloth. Then deep clean the sliding door tracks, which typically collects debris and dust. Use an old toothbrush to brush off dirt and vacuum afterwards.
3. Spring clean all visible surfaces — walls, baseboards, and door frames.
Professional cleaners recommend giving various surfaces around your home a thorough cleaning at least once a year, and spring cleaning is the perfect opportunity to do that. Deep clean your walls, baseboards, and door frames.
- Add a drop of dishwashing liquid in a bucket of water and use that to wipe off dirt and grime.
- Follow up by wiping with a microfiber cloth to dry off immediately.
In addition, grab this chance also to check whether your walls look a bit too run down already or are showing damages that need a fresh lick of paint.
4. Deep clean your rugs and carpets.
It’s always best to have your carpets professionally cleaned. But to spring clean your carpets, here’s what you can do:
- Vacuum your carpet with the highest suction setting several times, especially for those with a lot of foot traffic. There are also heavy-duty or portable carpet cleaners you can buy or rent for this occasion.
- Get rid of musty and nasty odors by sprinkling baking soda all over your carpet. It’s a cleaning hack that gives it a fresh smell and absorbs oily stains away.
- Let the baking soda sit for an hour to do its work and vacuum afterwards.
If you’re a proud DIYer, The Spruce has an informative tutorial on how to deep clean your carpet.
5. Spring clean your bedrooms.
If you’re prone to spring allergies, you should definitely pay much attention to deep cleaning your bedroom. Our home cleaning service experts recommend:
- Rotate and flip all mattresses.
- Expose pillows to sunlight for natural disinfection. You can also get them professionally cleaned or throw them in the dryer.
- Change into fresh bed sheets and comforters.
- Vacuum floors and dust off all surfaces.
6. Get your alfresco areas ready for spring.
If winter is all about holing up and hibernating inside the house, the spring and summer seasons are for basking in the sun and entertaining family and friends outdoor. Prep your alfresco areas with these spring cleaning tips:
- Powerwash grimy areas of your patio, deck, or garage.
- Clean outdoor tables and chairs and repair anything broken.
- Throw in some plants and colorful pillows for a fun spring vibe.
- Evaluate which parts of the house need repainting.
7. Declutter and organize!
Channel your inner Marie Kondo and keep only the things that spark joy. Decluttering is a major spring cleaning project that takes up a lot of time, energy, and focus, so make sure you’re doing it one room or even drawer at a time.
Here are a few tips on how to declutter your home effectively.
- Walk around your house with a basket or any container. Pick up all forms of clutter scattered on the floor or surfaces.
- Ask yourself if you’ve used an item for the last month or year or if it has any future use.
- Dedicate a day to sort everything into boxes to donate, throw, gift, and keep.
- Throw away anything defective that cannot be repaired.
- Declutter expired food items from your fridge and pantry. (Note: kitchen spring cleaning deserves a separate post, so stay tuned!)
- Check your wardrobe for winter clothes that should be kept in storage. Bring out spring and summer pieces to where you can quickly find them and for a splash of color.
- Identify problem areas around the house that accumulate clutter all the time. Develop a feasible solution and incorporate it into your cleaning habits. Get the whole family involved so it doesn’t feel like a futile one-person job.
- Give everything its proper place. This way, you and your family members know where to put anything lying around the house.
Got No Time? Let the Best Maid Service Indianapolis Spring Clean Your Home!
Everyone loves coming home to a freshly cleaned space, but let’s be honest, not all of us have the time to spring clean. So here’s where Deluxemaid saves the day!
We’re a local cleaning service in Indianapolis, and we offer the following at flat-rate pricing:
- Standard residential cleaning service
- Deep cleaning service
- Move-in cleaning service
Deluxemaid is proud to have the most competitive cleaning team composed of professional cleaners insured, bonded, and carefully background-checked on your behalf.
Get the awesome feeling of spring cleaning without sweating it out! Book a cleaning today.