Posted on April 14th, 2016
One of the most incredible benefits a clean home can give you is the peace of mind of knowing you and your loved ones are safe from dangers posed by germs, viruses, and bacteria. In this article, we go in-depth about harmful disease-causing bugs at home and share practical home cleaning tips to combat them.
What Are the Most Common Sickness-Causing Bugs And Where to Find Them At Home
- Influenza – a highly transmissible virus that can be passed on from direct contact. It commonly causes fever, colds, and muscle aches.
- Norovirus – causes vomiting and diarrhea. It is contracted in the bathroom, especially on toilet seats and bathroom fixtures.
- Staphylococcus bacteria – causes skin infections. It is usually found on the skin and in areas where people sweat, such as gym equipment, yoga mats, and athletic shoes.
- Salmonella bacteria – causes food poisoning and stomach flu. It can be found in raw meat, poultry, and eggs.
- E. coli bacteria – can cause infections from eating raw or undercooked meat, contaminated water, and vegetables. It leads to severe food poisoning.
- Streptococcus bacteria – seen in the throat and can be spread through coughing and sneezing.
- Mold – can commonly be found in damp areas, such as bathrooms, basements, and attics. It can trigger severe allergies and asthma attacks.
- Dust mites – are commonly found in bedding, carpets, and upholstery. They can cause allergic reactions and acne flare-ups.
- MRSA bacteria – According to the CDC, MRSA can be found in healthcare settings and households on high-touch surfaces. MRSA infections can start as tiny red bumps on the skin, eventually leading to more severe health complications.
Home Cleaning Tips to Prevent Germs, Viruses, and Bacteria
- Before and after cleaning, wash your hands thoroughly with antibacterial soap and water for at least 20 seconds.
- Clean frequently touched surfaces, such as doorknobs, light switches, countertops, and faucet handles, daily. Use a disinfectant cleaner or wipes, like Lysol disinfecting wipes, to clean thoroughly.
- Use separate cleaning tools for each room to prevent the spread of germs from one area to another.
- After cleaning with a disinfectant, allow surfaces to air dry completely before using them again.
- Wash bedding, towels, and other linens regularly in hot water and detergent.
- Vacuum carpets and upholstery regularly to remove dirt and dust, which can harbor germs.
- Clean kitchen surfaces regularly, especially after preparing raw meat or poultry. Wash dishes and utensils in hot, soapy water or use a dishwasher.
- Don’t forget to keep your bathroom clean and disinfected, especially the toilet, sink, and shower.
- Maintain good ventilation. Crack windows and doors open to improve ventilation and lower the concentration of germs in the air.
Book a Professional Home Cleaning Service
Don’t take chances. Protect your family from disease-causing bugs with our expert cleaning techniques. DeluxeMaid offers top-notch residential cleaning services you can count on.
Ready for a clean home? Book a clean today!